15 June, 2012

On the Subject of Independent Author Payments

So I haven't started to move any of my work over, but I thought that this was a very interesting and potentially relevant to the interests of many writers.

Amazon's huge Indie Author Markup. Basically, Amazon is taking nearly 50% of the cost of an independent author's ebook sales, as shown here:



The Nook cut is almost as bad, but the Nook market isn't nearly as huge.

People new to me will swiftly learn my political proclivities, although I don't plan on using this space for that kind of content; in this case, Amazon is the 1% and Indie Writers are the 99%.

Luckily, while we can't change economies on a dime, you CAN change where you make your ebooks available, and still self-promote the heck out of your work. The author here details the alternative sites he's using. The only one I have any experience with at all is Smashwords, which he doesn't appear to use, but the processes can't be all THAT different.

So, don't get shafted by Amazon; make the decision to affect your personal economy, and like so many did with GoDaddy over SOPA/PIPA, divest yourself of companies working against your best interests today.

What alternative e-book publishers are you using, and what's your experience with them? The comments are open.

No comments:

Post a Comment