19 June, 2012

Link Dump! Writing Tips for All of Us

Writing and Creative Writing are two of the topics on this application I have on my iPad and my Android phone called "Zite".  It's a news/site aggregator that works off of your selections and also your Google Reader feed, if you have one.  I've saved up some of the better links about writing that I've found, and here they are.

Ray Bradbury's Seven Rules for Writers.  A lot of people have posted about Ray Bradbury, who, of course, just died a few weeks ago.  I loved his short stories, especially "Fire and Ice".  The rule I find most difficult to do is rule 5 -- feed the muse daily.  I'm not the only writer who has a full-time job, and I'm sure everyone else finds it as difficult as I do.

Writing Conflict.  I'm still absorbing this one, but I like her ideas on how to keep the conflict reasonable, and yet still generate tension.

Writing in the First Person.  Interestingly, I don't feel like writing in the first person is difficult -- in fact, I find it harder to write in the third person, to the point where I wrote a short story where at least four separate people took turns being the first-person narrator.  However, for those that do, this article gives some good techniques for not falling into the "and then I did" and "I thought", etc.  (Hint -- it's a lot like writing in third person, which makes me think that I'm a wuss for not doing it.)

20 Tips to Sharpen Your Writing.  Finally, a tally sheet of tips designed to help writers draw readers in, and keep them reading.  I'm working on #3, and I do #9 all too often!  While it feels aimed at non-fiction writers, there's definitely stuff in there that's good for us make-believe types too.

Only four links; I don't want to inundate anyone with too much information.  Got a good site for tips?  Post in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. Hey thanks so much for the link, Drew! Hope the info is helpful to your readers.

    ReplyDelete