16 June, 2012

Review: Stars Rain Down

I got this book from the free kindle books email I get every day. I liked this book.  I'm big on space opera and this is very opera.  Warring races in distant star systems, Earth gets wiped out, some good tech speak, and fairly good characterization.    Where this book falls down, unfortunately, is in the execution.

Like many books of this nature, it hopes from place to place, telling several different stories related to the overall plot, slowly bringing them all together. There's Sinit, the alien, Jack the soldier on earth fighting the invasion, Marcus the brilliant scientist who makes the discovery that could save the world, and Sal, the engineer who puts Marcus' ideas into action. For a while, all the stories are told roughly equally, as we build towards the climax, but just when you think that everything is going to come together, the author chooses to focus on one character to the exclusion of the others, and then rushes the ending in addition, which left me, at least, saying "hey, wait, it's over?"

So how good can a book be when you don't stick the landing? Well, as good as it can be, I guess. Were I giving it a rating of a number of stars, I might go for here out of five.

I liked the book; I wanted to love it. I don't love it. Bit it was fun enough.


Stars Rain Down, by Chris Randolph.

Rating: 3/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment